Golly is an open source, cross-platform application for exploring Conway's Game of Life and other cellular automata. Key features:
* Unbounded universe (limited only by memory).
* Fast, memory-efficient conventional algorithm.
* Super fast hashing algorithm for highly regular patterns.
* Responsive even while generating or garbage collecting.
* Reads RLE, Life 1.05/1.06, and macrocell formats.
* Can paste in patterns from the clipboard.
* Auto fit option keeps patterns sized to the window.
* Full screen option (no menu/status/tool/scroll bars).
* Support for multiple layers.
* Built-in HTML help system with integrated Life Lexicon.
If you have a beautiful new iMac, you know how nice and bright the screen is. Thing is...sometimes a bright screen isn't what you're going for. Enter this widget. It allows you to IMMEDIATELY sleep just your display so that you can continue running your background jobs. It doesn't permanently affect your energy settings, so when you start working again, your monitor will not sleep immediately. It's a simple widget, but it solves an annoying problem.
Download Sleep Display
Dali Clock is a digital clock. When a digit changes, it "melts" into its new shape. The date is displayed when the mouse is pressed. The window can be made transparent, and can do funky psychedelic color cycling. This is a very old program! The original version was written some time in the early 1980s by Steve Capps for the Xerox Alto workstation. In 1984, he ported it to the original Macintosh 128K. This version is a descendant of Jamie Zawinski's 1991 implementation.
Download Dali Clock
Gradient Panel is a user interface for creating, editing and sharing gradients (colour ramps). Developers can incorporate the panel into their Cocoa applications easily and for free. This demo shows what the panel does and can do.
Download Gradient Panel
Area-preserving mappings model the dynamics of such systems as forced pendulums and the dynamics of stars in galacties and the flow of magnetic field lines. StdMap displays the orbits of 13 different such mappings which exhibit chaotic and regular dynamics. With the program you can find periodic orbits, stable manifolds and invariant circles/cantori, and iterate arbitrary curves.
TVShows is a Mac OS X application that automatically downloads your favourite shows. You don't need anymore to manually download torrent files, TVShows does it for you. Manage your subscriptions and preferences from within the TVShows application, and TVShows takes care of the rest: a background process is automatically launched at a regular interval to check for new episodes.
A semantic browser that tracks your steps through MediaWiki sites. It represents visited pages by nodes, which are interconnected to form the trail that you've made. As you hop from page to page, Pathway constructs a web, which enables you to keep a clear overview of your wiki explorations.
Smultron is a free text editor for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger which is both easy to use and powerful. It is designed to not confuse newcomers nor disappoint advanced users. It has all the advantages of an Cocoa application and some of its features are tabs, line numbers, support for syntax colouring for many different languages, functions list, support for text encodings, snippets, a toolbar, a status bar, preview, split window, multi-document find and replace with regular expressions, possibility to show invisible characters, authenticated open and saves, command-line utility, full screen editing and running commands and scripts from within the application.
Books is a native Cocoa application for Mac OS X that stores, sorts, and searches book collection information. Books is intended to assist book collectors with managing personal collections. All original code written for the Books project is made available under the MIT License. The PDF and J2ME plugins use libraries licensed under the Apache license and the Sun Community Source Licence.
Mail Scripts is a collection of AppleScript Studio applications for Mail and Address Book offering additional features or simplified workflow. Mail Scripts consists of the following scripts:
* Add Addresses (Mail): Add addresses found in the selected messages (in the header fields "From", "To", "Cc", and "Bcc") to the Address Book. This is much more flexible than the "Add Sender to Address Book" available in Mail and provides a convenient way for creating mailing lists.
* Archive Messages (Mail): Move messages from the selected mailbox(es) to an archive mailbox or export them to standard mbox or plain text files for backup purposes or import into other applications. You can select to move all messages or only messages sent within or certain period as well filter messages based on their read and flagged status.
* Change SMTP Server (Mail): Switch between different already defined SMTP servers or define a new one. This is especially useful if you are using your computer in more than one location and have to switch servers for several accounts at once.
* Create Rule (Mail): Create a new rule based on the first of the selected messages. This saves you the trouble of copy/pasting address or other info between the message and the rule window and provides a much quicker way for setting up a rule with multiple criteria/actions.
* Remove Duplicates (Mail): Locate all duplicate messages found in the selected mailbox(es) and move them to a separate mailbox for easy removal (duplicate matching is based on the unique message header "Message-Id").
* Schedule Delivery (Mail): Allows you to send individual messages at predefined times (this script uses iCal for scheduling message delivery).
* Send all Drafts (Mail): Immediately send all messages in the "Drafts" folders for all accounts. This saves you from having to open each draft in order to send it.
* Open Mailbox, Open Message (Mail): Two small faceless scripts which will open mailboxes with new messages or the new messages themselves when run as a rule action.
* Filter Sent Messages (Mail): Another faceless scripts which will apply your rules to the messages in the "Sent" mailbox.
* Export Addresses (Address Book): Export addresses from the Address Book into tab-delimited text files. You can select which groups and which fields you want to export.
* Search Addresses (Address Book): Find all addresses inside the Address Book matching one or more criteria. As opposed to the "Search" function built into the Address Book, this lets you search in any field as well as for empty and non-empty fields. As an example, you might use this script to search for all phone numbers with a certain area code in order to update your contacts after an area code change.
Mail Scripts are fully localized in English, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Greek, Brazilian Portuguese, and Norwegian.
Download Mail Scripts
iWisdom is a desktop application that will help a user manage a list of quotations or other brief insights. These bits of wisdom can be categorized and sorted. A view is available that will continually rotate from one wisdom item to another at random. Multiple wisdom collections can be maintained. The program can also be used to publish a wisdom collection in HTML.
FlickrExport Lite for Aperture is a simplified free version of FlickrExport for Aperture. A feature comparison with the full version is available.
This product was formerly known as the "Flickr Plugin for Aperture".
Download FlickrExport Lite for Aperture
ACMEreader lets you read your daily comics with ease.
* ACMEreader stores comic strips in an archive.
* ACMEreader keeps track of new and read comic strips.
* New strips are shown in a different color.
* Small fonts can be read more easily with the zoom tool.
* Navigation can be done smoothly with mouse and keyboard.
Big Time Screen Saver is an alarm clock screen saver, with the ability to play custom sound files for the alarm. It uses QuickTime, so it will play almost anything, including iTunes downloads.
Download Big Time Screen Saver
Phoenix Slides is a fast full-screen slideshow program/image browser, for flipping through folders or disks full of images. Phoenix Slides also does lossless JPEG transformations and can display EXIF data.
* fast (pre-cached) full-screen slideshows
* rotate/zoom in slideshow
* fast JPEG thumbnails (uses Epeg)
* lossless JPEG rotation
* view EXIF data, JPEG comments
* search subfolders (recursively) for images
* move files to trash, set image as desktop
* supports drag and drop, Finder aliases
* Localizations: Chinese (Traditional), German, French
Download Phoenix Slides